Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Tale of 2 Drunks

So when the girls had surgery back-to-back days, each of them had a drug called Versid. The drug is given to relax children before anesthesia. Apparently the effects of Versid are quite a bit like being drunk. So, I got a sneak peek at how my 4 and 5 year old would handle their liquor. The results were much different than I had imagined.

Day 1: Emme
My tough girl. Nothing phases her, nothing stops her. She falls, she gets back up. She runs into a wall and says she is OK before impact. If her reaction to Versid is an accurate indication this will be the child who cannot hold her liquor. Within 10 minutes of getting the meds, she could barely hold her head up and her speech was so slurred, that I couldn't make heads or tails of it. She made no sense and her appendages had minds of their own. I am envisioning some help through some rough nights with this one!!

Day 2: Lily
My sensitive, shy, "weakling." She cries if someone raises their voice, gets scared at loud noises, screams if she gets a scratch. Oh, how the tides turned when the meds hit her system. Within 5 minutes she was waving to every doctor and nurse that walked by and screaming "Hi" and "Hey." Over the course of the next 30 minutes, she told me that I was "The bestest mom ever!" about 10 times. She was trying to catch the "lights" and wanted me to help her catch the ones that she could not reach. She had full body control, clear speech and a HUGE smile! I am envisioning many a drunk dials with this one.

It may not be PC to predict future drunk nights for a 4 and 5 year old. But, I couldn't help but chuckle at the complete opposite reactions that they had. It just goes to show you that the tough ones are not always tough, and the weak ones are not always weak. It also goes to show that even in the midst of surgery, my girls can make me laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment