Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Pukes

It was a typical Thursday afternoon. I was scrambling to get dinner ready while the girls scrambled to see how big of a mess they could make before I was done making dinner. I was just getting the meat off the grill when I heard "Gulp, gulp." I looked over just in time to see Tess puke all over the kitchen floor.

As I was stripping her down and cleaning up the mess I thought to myself, This is not the flu, this is not the flu, she drank her water too quickly. I was in major denial. Every environment we had come near on any given day this week had the flu racing through it like a wildfire. But I still held out every hope I had.

She just needed food, I thought. She'll be better after dinner. 3 little girls sat down on the bench for dinner and Tess took 1 bite, turned and puked all over Emme. (Now Emme, being the drama queen that she is, certainly didn't calm the situation. One would have thought from her piercing screams that the puke had been sulfuric acid and that her skin was melting off).

It was official......the flu.



Poor little Tess continued to puke for another 8 hours and had nothing left in her. I was most afraid that I was going to look down and see a vital organ that had mistakenly been puked out. Luckily, at 3am, the puking stopped as quickly as it had started. This was not just the flu, this was the flu ramped up on caffeine or something. Tess managed to puke all over every family member, including our dear sweet lab Phoebe, who just laid and took it. The only family member who was not hit was Lily; Lily made it out clean.



24 hours later, it was Emme's turn. Although Emme's was not quite as bad she managed to puke 8 times in 5 hours. However, as many know, neither vomit, nor fever will stop Emme from being Emme and she managed to continue "ruling" the world between trips to the bathroom.



I have seen more vomit in the last 48 hours than one should have to see. Tess is 2 and therefore never made it to a toilet. I have cleaned vomit from clothing, rugs, blankets, couches, beds, hair, and even shoes. I am now sitting and waiting for the last little girl (the one who made it out clean) to vomit all over something, because as we all know, all good things, come in threes.

1 comment: