Friday, March 12, 2010

They Melt in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hand

Came around the corner into the kitchen to find Emme with her hand in a bag of M&Ms. I said something along the lines of, "Are you kidding me, put them back!" Her reply, "Uhhh, I wasn't going to eat them, Mom, I just wanted to see if they would melt in my hands."

At this point I am much more concerned with the fact that my 5-yr old daughter can come up with a flippant lie so quickly above the overt stealing of the candy from the cupboard. She was sent to her room until "Daddy gets home so we can all discuss this."

A longer than needed, yet very telling conversation followed with Miss Emme, Bob and me. The lecture included our "total disappointment" with her dishonesty. She kept her story going (or tried to) and wouldn't budge. At this point, it was a competition, I was going to win. I was going to break this little 5-yr old girl into telling me that she was indeed going to eat the M&Ms. Finally, Bob and I could see on her face exactly what she was thinking "Alright, they're on to me, abort plan A, go with plan B." One head bob, Z-snap, hip-popped "Uhhhh" followed by, "Well, you shouldn't have put them where I could reach them now should you have!"

This is what I am up against.

3 comments:

  1. ...and this little girl is only 5. How do you not just bust out laughing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her. So glad she is my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but I loved your original summary comment, "stealing in the name of science, now that's a new one!"

    ReplyDelete